Masters of the Universe: The Newspaper Comic Strips from Dark Horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters of the Universe: The Newspaper Comic Strips from Dark Horse

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: The Newspaper Comic Strips is now available for pre-order at Amazon! This upcoming book from Dark Horse Books will feature rare and original He-Man newspaper strip comics from the 1980s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	first-look-newspaper-cover.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	46650
    "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

Pre-ordered!!!!!!!
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

It's in my cart already, but I'd like to see a preview of it before committing to the purchase...

I wonder if the P&HF worked on it or not?...

Comment

I've never seen any of these either back when I was a kid, or recently. Anywhere online I can get a glimpse of these newspaper comic strips?
        Are they any good? Is it worth getting?

Comment

I second Croc's post. ^

Comment

I read these comcs in my native language (Serbian) They were published weekly in my native country back in the day. I do remember them being published in our local magazine 2 pages per issue with standard suspense line at the end of page 2 (TO BE CONTINUED). Originally these newspaper comics were printed in black and white but in my native country they were in full color. I read all those stories when I was a boy. Majority of characters we know and love show up in those stories including Ninjor,Scareglow,Saurod,Blade,Gwildor and many others. There are also rokkon,stonedar,evil horde,snakemen. King Hiss looks different in these stories. He is still snakemen but with no human form and his snakeform seems to be something betweem black mumba and Kobra. I am including here 2 samples of the same newspaper comic that will be in that upcoming book. First pic show english version in black and white and 2nd pic shows same comic book in my native language serbian in color. I was able to download through friends of mine almost complete version of these comics in serbian.

Comment

I would suggest to you guys that these comics are worth getting at least from my point of view. I grew up with these stories and with those published from marvel and to a small extent with some mini comics. For me these newspaper comics hold my childhood imagination and nostalgic reason to get the book.

Comment

For those of you who are not sure about getting this book. Check the link at he-man.org were they have one story scanned in full and in english and black and white with some details when the comic was produced and such. Here is the link:

http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=1858

Comment

Thanks Stevan...

I hope the black and white comic strips are re-inked/restored, because it was a little hard for me to read and enjoy the actual art that was presented in that condition!

Comment

I just pre-ordered my copy of the book this morning
                    “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

Alright dark horse! Keep the MotU books coming. Pre-ordered!!!

Maybe we'll get those create a characters in published form someday.
                      “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

This looks really cool. Nice to see something from the 80s that I'm not familiar with.
                        “The internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it." ― John Perry Barlow

Comment

Pre-ordered. I've never read any of these so it'll be like having brand new stories from the Filmation era.

Comment

“A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I just got my shipping notice that this book is on it's way.

Comment

Got mine today... was reading it to my kids. So far I think it's great!

Can't believe that there are 35 missing panels though. They should have delayed the book and spent more time trying to find them.
                                "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

I got the digital/kindle version to read on my 12.9" iPad, and I'll wait for the hard copy to go on sale before picking it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Draego-Man View Post

Can't believe that there are 35 missing panels though. They should have delayed the book and spent more time trying to find them.
                                    I got mine today and I feel like a kid again. Never read any of these but it brings me back to all the things I did read. Fits right along with the mini-comics, coloring books stories, and I'd even say some of the star comics and the magazine stories.

Draego, I feel ya bro but we never know if those 35 stories will ever be discovered. So far, I think it's pretty damn comprehensive and if they do pop-up somewheres, maybe those get released in digital form or displayed in a free link.

Just spitballing here, but I think a nice little action figure sized book of spells, that turns into a flashdrive with the PDF files on it would be a really cool way to release some things like that in the future.
                                    “Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

Yeah, if they do find them they should make sure they are available someone to people who bought the book. They have to be out there somewhere!

Comment

BTW, I noticed that Amazon has this book on sale for almost 50% off, so I've grabbed a hard copy as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...TRHBESXHYFK3LL

Sometimes it pays off if you're patient enough!

Comment

I just got it today, and damn it's huge and heavy! You defiantly need a tabletop or a kitchen counter to enjoy it!...

I'll be sticking with my digital version for now, much more convenient!

Comment

Originally posted by Draego-Man View Post

Dude, these strips are unbelievably hard to find. We literally exhausted all sources we knew of and we looked for MONTHS and months across the globe. This is also why some low rez scans were used for some of the last stories - it was just impossible to find better quality copies.
                                            “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by D.M. View Post

Dude, these strips are unbelievably hard to find. We literally exhausted all sources we knew of and we looked for MONTHS and months across the globe. This is also why some low rez scans were used for some of the last stories - it was just impossible to find better quality copies.
                                              They exist somewhere. Again, I think the project should have been delayed until most were found. 4 or 5 I could understand, but 35 is a lot of missing panels. I'm sure if someone made a trip to India where apparently they were published widely, and looked through newspaper archives they could be located.

Comment

The book was in the making since 2015 and we had a guy in India combing through newspaper archives in Indian national library. Read the foreword, everything has been detailed there.

Comment

I just received my copy on Friday. It is an awesome book. Will take me forever to get through it

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 32 users online. 2 members and 30 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,190 at 05:57 AM on 11-27-2015.

Working...
                                                  X