• Show
Clear All

• HMW Review: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

★★★★☆

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
    Written by Noelle Stevenson
    Starring Aimee Carrero, Karen Fukuhara, AJ Michalka, Marcus Scribner
    Produced by DreamWorks Animation Television, Mattel Creations

She-Ra and the Princesses of Poweris one of the best new shows of the year. The new Netflix series consists of 13 episodes and introduces a new generation of viewers to She-Ra and the Great Rebellion, as they strive to free the planet Etheria from the evil forces of Hordak.

The reboot is based on the original animated series from the 1980s (itself a spin-off of He-Man and Masters of the Universe). The series is from DreamWorks Animation and is executive produced by award-winning author Noelle Stevenson (creator of Nimona and Lumberjanes).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ALL-2-she-ra-677x381.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	52469

First and foremost, She-Ra is an origin story, establishing the mythical background and mission of the main character. The hero of the story, Adora, is as enigmatic as she is compelling. Raised as a child-soldier for the Evil Horde, and mentored under the watchful eye of Shadow Weaver, Adora is brought up to believe that the Princesses of Etheria are evil.

Adora leaves behind her former life after she finds a magical sword that transforms her into the Princess of Power, She-Ra! Her best friend Catra feels betrayed when Adora leaves the Evil Horde, and is tasked by Shadow Weaver to bring her back. It is up to She-Ra and the rebel princesses to restore balance on Etheria.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AL-she-ra-pop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	52470

Everything - voice acting, storyline, music, and art direction - is exceptionally well done. She-Ra offers appealing characters and lots of girl power. The new series is an action/comedy that will thrill new fans and old fans alike. The series is much more serialized than the original series, and moves at a quick pace.

The main story arch of season one is She-Ra and her new friends trying to rebuild the "Princess Alliance." Most of the episodes feature Adora, Bow and Glimmer meeting with princesses from other kingdoms, trying to get them to join the Rebellion. This gives most of the princesses at least one episode to shine in, and sets up the world building of the series.

In this reimagined series, there is no mention of He-Man or Skeletor, but fans will be treated to a number of easter eggs from the original Filmation He-Manand She-Racartoons. Even The New Adventures of He-Man spin-off from the 1990s gets an intriguing callback in one episode, which may have fans wondering what time period this new series takes place in.

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power features a diverse cast of characters, and includes characters of all shapes, sizes, ethnicities, and orientations. The positive inclusion of queer characters and storylines in the new series is fantastic to see. Same-sex relationships are common on Etheria, and the characters are treated with equality and respect.

Visibility of queer characters is important in kids programming. The more LGBT characters there are in children's TV shows, the more opportunities there will be to teach tolerance and acceptance to children. In 2018, it's important that kids can see themselves in fiction and recognize there is a place for them in the world, regardless of their sex, race, religion, culture, sexual orientation or gender identity.

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is an enthralling and affirming series for children of all ages. The new series honors what has made the She-Ra character an icon for generations. Thrilling, funny, heartfelt, and visually exciting, the new She-Ra series is the reinvention of a familiar friend for today's audiences.

“FOR THE HONOR OF GRAYSKULL!”

All 13 episodes of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power Season 1 are available for streaming now on Netflix!
    "We must always value life. Even the life of one who opposes us." ― He-Man

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power features a diverse cast of characters, and includes characters of all shapes, sizes, ethnicities, and orientations. The positive inclusion of queer characters and storylines in the new series is fantastic to see. Same-sex relationships are common on Etheria, and the characters are treated with equality and respect.
    Visibility of queer characters is important in kids programming. The more LGBT characters there are in children's TV shows, the more opportunities there will be to teach tolerance and acceptance to children.
    So you're telling us the creator/writer who is allegedly a Lesbian herself is trying to condition the little kids about her sexual oriented culture?! What a shocker!!... I just hope all parents are aware of this move!...

From what I've read so far, most real viewers didn't like it or even hated the first episodes, they claim the characters are badly written describing them as very shallow with no depth!...

Also, this "kiddy" show could be banned from viewing in certain conservative countries or states just because Netflix and DreamWorks chose this particular SJW route!

Anyhow, I'll reserve my judgment until I watch the first few episodes, but clearly for sure, this isn't a Voltron quality by a long shot!
    The Mechanical Universe is inevitable.

Comment

• RoboSteveo
      RoboSteveo commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the show is very well written. Honestly, it is better written than the original series.

The creator of the series is a Queer woman. So what? She isn't trying to turn kids gay. Talk like that is just silly.

In the 1950s, there were some white parents who wouldn't let their kids listen to records made by black artists. Stopping a kid from watching a cartoon because there are a few gay characters in it is no different. It is discrimination.

I would watch the show before you judge, and stop reading stupid comments about the show at that other He-Man forum.

• Mechanizor
      Mechanizor commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve, I'm not saying she's trying to turn kinds into gays (This is such a lame comment coming from you BTW), I said conditioning the kids into a lifestyle that shouldn't be their concern at that age!... Parents should know what they're kids are diving into...

You're blowing this out of proportions in my option bringing all that discrimination nonsense!

Also, I haven't read any reviews from the other He-Man forum/s, I simply saw some YT videos about it, and people's constructive criticism including rotten tomatoes.

• RoboSteveo
      RoboSteveo commented
      Editing a comment
      The show isn't conditioning kids into the "lifestyle" either. Some people on Youtube are just silly. If I were you, I'd just watch the show. I think you will enjoy it.

I just finished watching the series tonight, and I must say that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I really liked this interpretation of Hordak, who was a no-nonsense evil leader. He really did come across as a genuine threat in this show. It was interesting to watch how he manipulated members of the Horde to do his bidding (in some way, similar to the way King Hsss operated in the MYP cartoon).

The show may have a few queer characters, but it is never pushed into the viewers face. Talk of a "Queer Agenda" is just silly to me after watching the whole show. There is no shame in being gay, and I think its good that there are a few gay characters in the show. I also think the diversity is good too, as we see many different nationalities in the show (which is honestly something we didn't see much in the original show).

Its a fun, silly show, with a few sad moments that made me want to reach for a tissue. It was a bit emotional at times. Eventually, I think we will see Adora reunite with her family, and if that happens, that will be one hell of a tearjerker.
    “The internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it." ― John Perry Barlow

Comment

***SPOILERS***

...finally got through the whole thing. There's plenty to like, and there are plenty of issues to unpack. Serious issues. I don't want to go on about this exhaustively, but I strongly feel that making everything based on tech (no magic or innate powers) is all wrong for this mythology, and making She-Ra just a guise - worn by several women over time, evidently - rather than an actual character and alter-ego of Adora is frankly stupid. But what do I know? I'm just a man, and if this series has shown me anything, its that men are either one-dimensional, actively malevolent, or dead - none of which is conducive to having a valid opinion.
      Not every beast is tender, especially if there is genius in his making.

Comment

• Captain Atkin
        Captain Atkin commented
        Editing a comment
        I think all points are valid. This cartoon is not going to be for everyone. I enjoyed it, but I still want to see a more mature take on the She-Ra character (in the vain of the 2002 cartoon series).

Well I liked it. But then, as a 42 year old, it's not really meant for me, is it. Still, I enjoyed it.

Comment

This show isn't my cup of tea. I was hoping that this would be something like Voltron Legendary Defender or 200X.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaGearMax View Post
          This show isn't my cup of tea. I was hoping that this would be something like Voltron Legendary Defender or 200X.
          You won't have the current Voltron or the 200X quality in this brand where you have "awkward" type of kiddy-like producers or animators running it without respecting it!... When you have properties with that kind of history behind them, you have to look for people who can actually take them to the next level, an upgrade if you will... Kids who were/are into Pokeman, Adventure Time and the Powerpuff Girls can't really understand the production quality and the story telling behind the giant 80's properties even though when they claim they grew up watching their sibling's cartoon collection! Yeah right!

Have you seen the upcoming Thundercats Roar's abysmal art style (CalArts)?
          The Mechanical Universe is inevitable.

Comment

For me, the best part of the series was Hordak, and the nods to the original Horde. I liked seeing Grizzlor, and hopefully we will see some more of the original Horde (Mantanna, Leech, Moduluk, Mosquitor) in season 2.
            “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

Comment

Also when we look at the whole representation of women in powerful leadership positions, all of the characters in the show are pretty terrible at their roles! We have Perfuma, who is essentially a damsel in distress, waiting to be rescued, doesn't even consider the ploom of smoke suspicions, despite having started just before the woods became sick. Then there's Mermista, who is so bad as a leader, no one has any faith in her, so they just abandoned her, she says she's handling it, yet she's just sat on her throne, acting moody and as if the whole situation is an inconvenience and beneath her. Entrapta, clearly doesn't care about her kingdom, and none of her people think highly of her and are more afraid of her than anything. Then we get Frosta, a stuck up brat who jeopardises the live of the people in her kingdom and those of her visiting guests by inviting members of a ruthless dictatorship whose sole purpose is conquering all the kingdoms of the planet and imposing absolute rule.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 137 users online. 2 members and 135 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,190 at 05:57 AM on 11-27-2015.

Working...
              X