Art of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

A new book caled the Art of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is soon to be released by Dark Horse Comics! The book will feature art from all of the various incarnations of Masters of the Universe. The book is scheduled for release on April 15th, 2015 at a list price of $39.99.

The book can be found ready for pre-order at Indigo!
    “We change people through conversation, not through censorship." ― Jay Z

With so much stuff to cover... did they really had to include that phone game material? Just seems like a waste of space. Can't say I'm too keen on inclusion of neo-DC MOTU comics either.

I mean, there's just so, SO MUCH material to cover. 8(
    Last edited by D.M.; 07-25-2014, 06:45 PM.
    “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Ordered mine!
      "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

hmm ok

1. i wonder what the P&H foundation think and it shows why mattel wanted they're content so much
        2. this better be available world wide and not another way to screw over international fans

Comment

• D.M.
          D.M. commented
          Editing a comment
          Well seeing as Dark Horse's is the publisher - I see no reason why it wouldn't pop up on BookDepository (free shipping there on all books (and comics)).

• GREP-A-TOR
          GREP-A-TOR commented
          Editing a comment
          Emiliano was/is right to keep the lid on many of the pics and art.

Originally posted by Draego-Man View Post
        Ordered mine!
        From where, Amazon?
        The Mechanical Universe is inevitable.

Comment

• Draego-Man
          Draego-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. Amazon Canada... cheaper than the US Amazon actually.

I just placed my pre-order on amazon.ca

Comment

I also have placed my pre-order on Amazon.

Comment

The PAH Foundation will make an official statement abut this book and what happened with the Foundation soon after San Diego.

Comment

• Draego-Man
              Draego-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              When it comes to Scooter, I assume the worst. He just plagiarized Homecoming, so one has to wonder what else is next on his unethical agenda.

• Croc-O-Bite!
              Croc-O-Bite! commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly D-M.... pretty hard NOT to assume the worst when Neitlich is involved.

• Mechanizor
              Mechanizor commented
              Editing a comment
              I hope nothing but good news for the PAH Foundation.

Little preview:
            http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/...-the-universe/
            “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Ooooooo-Lawdy! I'm all over that business! Always loved the artwork for MOTU.

Comment

Originally posted by Emiliano View Post
                The PAH Foundation will make an official statement abut this book and what happened with the Foundation soon after San Diego.

I'd like to here this story man. I stupidly sold my copy of the PAH book. I don't want to pre-order this new book until I find out what you guys have to say.
                “What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."― Salman Rushdie

Comment

I had explained everything in a thread on He-Man.org, but Jon Kallis decided it wasn't a topic I could discuss on their forum and censored dozens of people and myself.
                  We won't go into details again when we'll make the statement.
                  They asked us to collaborate, but the conditions were unacceptable to us, so we passed.
                  We know pretty much what's inside their book, and we know it would have been 100% better with our contribution. That doesn't necessarily mean their book is totally bad, bit it's surely a wasted occasion.

Comment

• deano_ue
                    deano_ue commented
                    Editing a comment
                    so an explanation about a book about the history and art of motu that did not include a group with the largest collection of material based on said subject is not on topic

common sense its a ****ing super power its so rare

• D.M.
                    D.M. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So they made a "take it or leave it" kind of offer? No room for a compromise at all? :I

I had explained everything in a thread on He-Man.org, but Jon Kallis decided it wasn't a topic I could discuss on their forum and censored dozens of people and myself.
                  We won't go into details again when we'll make the statement.
                  They asked us to collaborate, but the conditions were unacceptable to us, so we passed.
                  We know pretty much what's inside their book, and we know it would have been 100% better with our contribution. That doesn't necessarily mean their book is totally bad, bit it's surely a wasted occasion.
                  So could you please share with us the explanation whether in details or in a brief paragraph?

Comment

It's really just what I said above: they asked us to collaborate, but under conditions that were unacceptable for us: we were supposed to provide images without any other involvement in the creation of the book (Mattel prohibited that).
                    Because of that, we had to pass, and they just went ahead and did the book without us or the materials we could have provided.

Comment

• Shawn
                      Shawn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well considering Emilano is an artist, I assume this he is referring to him being a designer. A fair expectation from his perspective. Although I can also see why Mattel would want another designer who is less emotional attached to the material.

It's just a shitty situation because "Mattel" has shit on Emilaino so much. AT least they came to the foundation to GIVE such an ultimatum. Perhaps someday they'll get rid of whoever is **** blocking emiliano form making MOTU even more awesome then it already is?
                      Last edited by Shawn; 08-01-2014, 01:28 AM.

• Emiliano
                      Emiliano commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Neo, I saw your post on the org. too, before it was deleted.
                      We don't have "demands" and definitely is not an ego thing.
                      It is not about the design of the book either
                      It's really a lot more simple than any of that.
                      We just want conditions that are not just "give us all the art you have".
                      We are historians, we spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on this art, we travelled, we met met with the artists, we scanned, we restored, we photographed, for countless hours.
                      We just want to be part of the creative process of creating such book, we want our expertise and knowledge put to good use not just be a bank of images.
                      In terms of actual work, we'd like to be hired to create the content of the books. WITH Mattel and WITH Dark Horse. We don't want to dictate everything, we never even got to that point. We just want to be part of the project because of the above, does it sound unreasonable (Dark Horse thought it was perfectly reasonable) or an ego thing?

• Mechanizor
                      Mechanizor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's definitely a lot of labor of love from the Foundation was put into this project, but I never thought it was that costly!!! Just wow! I hope the first volume helped you out to cover some that insane cost!
                      BTW Emiliano, is purchasing such a book from Mattel/Dark-Horse would hurt your wallet? If it does, I won't mind canceling my preorder!

That's disappointing, but at least there doesn't appear to be anything underhanded about the production of the book itself, so I can buy it with a clear conscience.

Comment

• Shawn
                      Shawn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      excellent point!

Personally I won't support this project- it looks like a rehash of material that has been publicly been available through various channels for years now. I'm glad to see people supporting the effort but I just feel it's counter productive and would rather send the message to Mattel indirectly that I want more PHF and less thrown together piecemeal by not giving money.

Comment

• Shawn
                      Shawn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well with any hope, it fixes previous design flaws. Hope in one hand and shit in the other right? It looks to include NEW stuff, even if it doesn't the point is that it collections various stuff into a single collection so it's wort h $30 pre-order price on that basis alone IMO. The foundation isn't asking us not to buy it out of protest so why should we? If we want to send em a message we can write a letter to the people who work inside Mattel's system.

You do make a good point about how Mattel piecemeal's out stuff. But even the foundation hasn't made "THE BIBLE" of MOTU? but then, that would be bigger then the holy bible LOL...That would be cool though. My Hard Drive use to look like that before a couple years ago when I lost all my digital archives I would so buy a Hard Drive full of MOTU documents

Although, if Scott stuck in the failed He-Ro pitch that he just revealed exists in full detail I probably would have purchased it just for historical significance.

Comment

Ugh, I'm worded out after checking in at the .org...and I havn't even logged into FB today

LOL It is what it is. I've already got one pre-ordered!
                      Last edited by Shawn; 08-01-2014, 01:41 AM.
                      Once upon a time, good advice was "be kind Rewind"now nobody remembers the past.

Masters of the universe The LOST TALES (a series of vintage style fan-comics and children's books)

Comment

Even with Kallis preventive censorship, I'm glad to see people didn't drop the topic.
                        And we just added our 2 cents. What we said is about the new book. Of course, unless they decide we can only talk about what is it in the book and not about what is missing.

Comment

Lol. Yeah, it didn't take long for him to jump in and tell people not to talk about P&H......... to absolutely no one's surprise.

Comment

I posted a reply to Neo in the comments above, but I think it's worth its own post so everybody will see it:

What kind of involvement we'd like to have? The simple answer is any kind. As we had zero involvement before and none was offered.
                            We don't have "demands" and definitely it isn't an ego thing.
                            We are historians, we spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on this art, we travelled, we met with the artists, we scanned, we restored, we photographed, for countless hours.
                            We just want to be part of the creative process of creating such book, we want our expertise and knowledge put to good use not just be a bank of images.
                            In terms of actual work, we'd like to be hired to create the content of the books. WITH Mattel and WITH Dark Horse. We don't want to dictate everything, we never even got to that point. We just want to be part of the project. Does it sound unreasonable (Dark Horse thought it was perfectly reasonable) or an ego thing?

Comment

• Captain Atkin
                              Captain Atkin commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That sounds perfectly resonable to me.

Yep sounds reasonable to me... but the thing is, TG has a hate vendetta against Emilliano.
                            "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ― Noam Chomsky

Comment

Sounds reasonable to me too.
                              We've all seen the walkthrough videos over the years & witnessed just how clumsy/careless Neitlich is with the prototypes......... who the hell in their right mind would want that guy (and you just know he'll stick his nose in the process at some point, he can't help himself) anywhere near their hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of art without being there observing/taking part in the process?

Not only that, we've all read what happened last time Emiliano handed something over to Mattel (the bible), no f'ing way I'd ever give them something to use ever again..... unless I'm in the room with it at all times.

Comment

Thanks for your reply man. As for this whole situation, I don't know man.. I'm gonna stay out of this all since I can understand it from all parties involved. I have no problem with Scott and I have no problem with the P&H foundation and I like to keep it that way.

Edit: It was weird that my post got deleted though since it was about the new book.. -_-

I posted a reply to Neo in the comments above, but I think it's worth its own post so everybody will see it:

What kind of involvement we'd like to have? The simple answer is any kind. As we had zero involvement before and none was offered.
                                We don't have "demands" and definitely it isn't an ego thing.
                                We are historians, we spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on this art, we travelled, we met with the artists, we scanned, we restored, we photographed, for countless hours.
                                In terms of actual work, we'd like to be hired to create the content of the books. WITH Mattel and WITH Dark Horse. We don't want to dictate everything, we never even got to that point. We just want to be part of the project. Does it sound unreasonable (Dark Horse thought it was perfectly reasonable) or an ego thing?

Comment

• deano_ue
                                  deano_ue commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  it got deleted because they went on a mod kick and it was such a wide net anything that was connected to the p&h got hiy

I definitely will be getting the Dark Horse Mattel book, but it's unfortunate Mattel doesn't want to collaborate with the Power and Honor Foundation on making it. I don't foresee relations getting better until there are new folks at Mattel.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 108 users online. 1 members and 107 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,190 at 04:57 AM on 11-27-2015.

Working...
                                X